Thursday, August 16, 2012

Happy 29th Birthday, You're Menopausal! Whaaat?!!!

I never thought that for my 29th Birthday I'd be given the gift of Menopause.

For about a year I have been struggling with seemingly random health junk.  Nothing life threatening but sucky crap.

Here is some of the list of fun: (Not for the weak tummy friends! It's about to get sexy up in here)
-Severe Acne
-Skin Discoloration
-High Blood Pressure
-Rapid Weight Gain
-Abdominal Pain
-Non Stop Bleeding/Inability to have regular cycle
-Frequent Urination (Like 3-4x per night!)
-Severe Constipation (yummy, right)
-Inability to conceive naturally (this I learned after diagnosis)

These are just the more substantial issues I have been dealing with this lovely 28th year of life.  After consulting a few doctors I finally found answers.  I have a bad case of Endometriosis as well as Polycistic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS).

This meant up to 16+ pills daily and surgery to alleviate pain.  I have awful scarring across my whole face from the painful battles with acne. My once bright and bouncy skin is now ravaged, wrinkled up and dry because of all of the harsh creams. It ain't cute.

I feel like these issues have taken over and I'm left a mess.

Tomorrow I have an appointmet to be injected with the medication Lupron.  This will put me into a menopausal state for 6 months.  You realize what this means right?  Hot Flashes. Mood Swings. Batcrap Crazy!  There is a pill called Norethin Ace you are supposed to take daily to reduce side effects but I just feel I am in for an awful experience. (Should be AWESOME for the new relationship in my life. He is going to run for the hills!!!)

The idea is that my internal organs cannot heal as long as I continue to have a cycle.  Everything will be shut down for 6 months to give it time to get healthy again.

I have been researching reviews about experiences with Lupron and it is horrifying some of the things I read. Although there are some positive reviews, the awful ones are just disturbing and seem to appear more frequently.

I am scared.  I feel this is something I need to do though.

Any bit of encouragement would be greatly appreciated. I am alone up here and quietly wish I had someone to drag along with me tomorrow.  Even as I write that it brings tears to my eyes.  I am just so afraid of screwing my body up even more.  It has been so difficult this last year to deal with all of this unpleasant, gross and embarassing crap. Don't even get me started on what it does to your confidence as a single-trying-to-date mom. :-/

Menopause...here I come.

4 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say that I think you are amazing and I think that you will get through this just fine. Like you said a lot of those people complaining about the s/e of the meds are prob crazy anyway... lol I will pray that you will get through this WITH your sanity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's make a date to stick out heads in the freezer together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have suffered from both my whole life. Main reason for not having children. I have done several rounds of Lupron and the only side effect I had was mood swings. I had a regular cycle and didn't get to "enjoy" any of the menopause. I have had probably 4 endo surgery and I have to say that I have been pain free about 2 1/2 years which is a life time for me. Main problem I still have is the inability to lose weight, my metabolism just stopped.

    Trust me though, this is the best thing you could do for yourself. To me the surgery was a minor issue but made me feel so much better. Hopefully the therapy will work for you. If you need anything just let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, sorry to see this...hang in there, you're strong and you'll get through it for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me, Goose!