Monday, December 7, 2015

The Other Side of Welfare

Lately it is almost daily I flip open my laptop, login into any social media site and get hit by a sting that makes me want to put my head down or maybe scream. Or both. It's kinda confusing...here we go...

I am a recipient of welfare.  Yep.

And guess what...I'd pass a drug test.  I don't have an iPad.  I don't drive a Mercedes. I have never used food stamps to purchase fancy meals. Yes, I have an iphone...but easy on the quick judgements and righteous attitudes. It was a gift. Because I can't afford something like that. Yep, I actually live on a budget, take wonderful care of my kids, have no credit debt and am working my tail off to provide a better life for me and my children.

Now, I understand that there are many people out there who abuse the system and make a lifestyle of standing in lines for handouts. I'm not one of them.

It's not only people like them but also people like the ones posting and ranting derogatory remarks every chance they get publicly on social media that make me feel like I should be ashamed to ask for help when I am the reason the system is even in place! I wish people could stop placing judgement without thinking. Just throwing the hate around, knowing nothing about the struggles people like me face.

The man I trusted our lives to dumped us with absolutely nothing. I've worked up to 3 jobs at one time just trying to make ends meet while he enjoyed a footloose and fancy free life. I have worked harder in the last 4.5 years than most people have to work in a lifetime. All to make a better life for my children after our world was flipped on us.

I went back to school for a chance at a career.  I shovel horse crap every morning to earn a couple of bucks in between getting both kids ready and on the bus and hurrying to class all day, all week. Every moment of every day is devoted to making our life better. And we still barely get by.

So, yes. I asked for help so I could have the opportunity to do the hard work it would take to make these changes. I qualified for a loan to go back to school and type on this here laptop. I have help to supply food for my children and for a short time some help that allowed me to seek necessary medical attention.

And guess what...I'm grateful.  And you ready for the shocker...I can't wait to be independent again so I no longer need assistance.

If even one person could ease up on public blasting of those on welfare I will consider my vulnerability in this post worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me, Goose!